Monday 27 August 2012

Thing 18: Screen Capture and Podcasting

I love the idea of screen capture videos.  I can see some wonderful applications for screen capturing use in the LRC such as: How to access the catalogue and do simple searches; how to access our subscription databases; how to find a physical resouces in the library. These can then be stored on our VLE. I have experienced problems downloading the software at school because of permissions, so I'll attempt plan B and ask for the firewall to accept this tool. I can see this as a useful training tool for student helpers as well. Our ICT teaching department has used this kind of tool in conjuntion with Youtube to teach staff how to develop and use GoogleApps documents.

As for Podcasting, I've experienced many of these myself when exploring new technologies. Is this the same as Webinars that appear in various websites? I suspect this is the American terminology for a Podcast on the web. For my own CPD these are very useful. However, I have tried to use them in school and they have fallen on 'deaf' ears so to speak. Our students prefer the visual element to keep them engaged. We have looked at purchasing a service called 'GCSE POD' which is very expensive. Itunes U also have some interetsing and free podcasts, but again the videos are preferred. My attempt to get students to record their book reviews for others to hear was a complete failure. Somehow our students (aged 11-18) only think of 'listening' on MP3 players or iplayers in terms of music, not school related things. Maybe it's an age thing? Kids don't listen to 'talk' radio either! I can see it working in Higher Education, especially where lectures etc are missed, or for revision. However, for the visually impaired, it may well be a fabulous development! Occasionally, there has been something book or library related on the BBC radio podcasts which are easy to download. However it's usually only 2 or 3 minutes that are relevant, and you can't edit the BBC podasts yourself, so you need to capture the entire thing. Somewhat limiting. Our languages department uses Audacity software to record students practising their language spoken exams. As a coaching tool I can see this being of great use. In short, if podcasts are going to be used as part of my learning resources centre, we have a big job to persuade the students to actually use them. I suppose it's worth trying to change this attitude, but it's way down the list of priorities.

No comments:

Post a Comment