Monday 2 July 2012

Thing 10 Qualifications

I have a Degree in History, Postgraduate Diploma in Library Studies and Chartered status achieved in 1986. Since then I have undertaken various training courses associated with work. The only new official qualification I have is one gained a couple of years ago: ECDL levels 1&2. I undertook this to have some offical ICT qualification on my cv, as this wasn't around when I qualified. Computers were only just being introduced into libraries in 1986! As I now work in a school, I do believe that a teaching qualification designed for librarians should be added to my protfolio. Also, as I go up the management ladder, some sort of management achievement in addition to Chartership might be useful too. Courses are available through CILIP  & SLA, but they are few and far between, and often expensive. I would challenge both organisations to try to do something with e-learning qualifications which would make following courses easier for distance learners with limited resources. I firmly believe in continuing CPD, hence the reason for doing this course. However, often information gained through 'modules' or day courses don't carry any kind of qualification, only a certificate. A personal PDP mentioned later in this course is a good way to identify gaps.
It's an interesting issue. Thanks CPD23 for raising it.

No comments:

Post a Comment